POSITION DESCRIPTION: is not intended to cover every work assignment a position may have. Rather, they cover the broad responsibilities of the position.
We are seeking a Research Associate or Research Assistant to perform cutting edge, interdisciplinary research in the laboratory of Dr. Jean-Marc Schwarz. The Schwarz lab uses stable isotope methodologies to conduct research on dietary sugars and their role in the development of metabolic diseases. This position will be part of a team responsible for processing and analyzing research samples collected from ongoing human studies, utilizing standard biochemical techniques such as centrifugation, thin-layer chromatography, and derivatization. The candidate must have a background in biochemistry and/or chemistry, previous experience in a laboratory setting, and experience with or interest in learning mass spectrometry techniques.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES: are those work assignments which are predominant, regular and recurring.
The position will be responsible for:
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES (if applicable): should reflect who the employee is supervising and what the expectations are.
QUALIFICATION(S): is the Education, Training and/or related experience needed by the person to perform the job.
CORE COMPETENCIES: identify the behavior an employee is expected to demonstrate.
· Can use language effectively to gather information and facilitate the exchange of ideas;
· Exhibits respect and understand of others to maintain professional relationships;
· Takes responsibility for actions and shows that one is reliable and trustworthy;
· Ability to work both independently and in a team environment;
· Strong organizational ability;
· Strong analytical skills;
· Ability to manage time effectively and meet deadlines.